Inspectors with Experience You Can Bank On
407-230-2851
Home Tap to Call Now

Home Inspections May Reveal Mold Problems

How does mold affect me?

Mold is a common concern for homeowners and buyers. It’s common to find mold even in new homes, especially when they have been left untouched for a period of time after the building was completed. Whether you’re selling your current home or looking into buying one, it’s crucial to get a mold inspection.

mold inspection in clermont flThe presence of active mold can drastically affect the value of any home.

For homeowners, a mold inspection will either put your mind at ease or make you aware of any problems in advance that could otherwise cause delays or serve as a deal breaker once you’ve begun negotiations. A professional mold inspection will give you a signed report before you put the home on the market. For buyers inspections, getting a mold assessment will ensure that you’re not surprised by costly clean up and the potential health hazards of mold. If any mold is found to be present and active in the home, the mold inspection will allow you to address the clean-up prior to purchasing the home.

Should I be concerned about mold in my home?

If indoor mold is extensive, those in your home can be exposed to very high and persistent airborne mold spores. It is possible to become sensitized to these mold spores and develop allergies or other health concerns, even if you are not typically sensitive to mold. Over a small period of time you could develop serious respiratory problems. Beyond the health effects, mold growth can cause structural damage to your home as well as permanent damage to furnishings and carpet.

mold inspection in orlando flHow can I ensure my home is mold free?

A Mold Assessment will provide a thorough mold inspection that includes visual examinations of the most likely areas to harbor mold. Air samples can also be taken indoors and out to determine whether the number of spores inside your home is significantly higher and if there is indoor mold present. After it is established that mold exists in the home, the next step is to pinpoint the source of moisture that is allowing the mold to grow. We can recommend a course of action if you suspect that mold may be a problem in a home. We work with several experts in this field and will be happy to recommend a professional to do your mold testing.

Where does mold exist?

Mold is everywhere, inside homes and out. It can be found in the air, on plants, foods, dry leaves, and other organic materials outside. With thousands of known species of mold in existence, the fungi are virtually everywhere. Molds grow naturally indoors as well. The mold spores enter the home through doorways, windows, and heating and air conditioning units and as well as on people and animals.

When mold spores drop where there is excessive moisture in your home, they begin to grow and multiply. Common problem sites include humidifiers, leaky roofs and pipes, overflowing sinks, bath tubs and plant pots, steam from cooking, dryers exhausting indoors, or where there has been flooding. Once the mold enters a home, many building materials, including drywall and wallpaper, provide suitable nutrients for mold, facilitating growth.

It is critical to check around your home for any signs of mold growth. If you have had any moisture problem, such as air current, flooding, or plumbing problems, then you may have mold in your home without even knowing it. Many times mold can exist without any visible indicators, leaving the homeowner unsuspecting and at risk.

mold assessment in winter garden flWhat are the health effects of mold?

Everyone is exposed to some amount of mold on a daily basis, most without any apparent reaction. While mold often causes health hazards, the mere visual presence of mold does not mean problems will occur. The spores of the mold must be released into the air and ingested or inhaled for a reaction to take place. Typically, mold spores cause more problems when there is active mold growth present in large numbers.

The effects of mold can vary greatly. For some people, a small exposure to mold spores can trigger an asthma attack or lead to other health problems. For others, symptoms may only occur when exposure levels are much higher. The most common symptoms reported from mold in indoor environments are runny nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion, aggravation of asthma, headache, and fatigue. The production of potentially toxic mycotoxins can cause more severe reactions, and in rare cases, death.

*RG&S Home Inspection may not be able to perform needed testing and remediation, but we will recommend the best course of action and a competent contractor to fit the needs